Ep. 5 Sermon on Strolling (part I)


In episode 5, we hear the first of 2 clips from Joris Planck's "Sermon on Strolling." We hope to shine some light on what Joris thought when he took walks.

Transcription of Joris:

"My friends, by which I mean my thoughts suggest leaving my incommodious apartment to visit some public venue or market square. Where wears are whimsically strung betwixt wooden post and lintel, and shrieking children confuse every tall individual within arms reach as their parent.... They tell me to visit manicured gardens where I might espy the governors family eating paté. They tell me to meander the artist quarter to have my silhouette torn from thick paper. And love. Those thoughts, those invasive friends, demand I court and be courted, woo and be wooed. That I might flourish and sire offspring, thereby extending my influence beyond and futurewards.
Well... go into society? Perish the thought, by which I mean send that friendly inhabitant of my mind to the block so as to cleave its gregarious head from its overburdened shoulders. Does it tire of the thicket, bright with irritated chickadees? Or of the stone piercing through the meager soil? What reason have they to forsake such dilemmas for society... But, the moment I move to expel these friends to leave me with my thoughts, I remember that these friends are my thoughts, and I stop, for I daren’t be left alone without them."