Ep. 12 Sermon on Animality (dog and cat people)


Episode 12 returns to our favorite chief zealot. As per a listener request, we will be sampling one of his more simple arguments for examination.
In it, Joris weighs the need to identify as one particular animal or another—to shocking results.


Transcription of Joris:

"I used to think poorly of those who considered themselves either a dog person or a cat person. And then I became a cat person. And then I became a dog person. And then I became a person once again who thinks lowly upon those dog and cat people. And then I became a dog person again. And after that a cat person two consecutive times. And then there was a period I forget, for they were the many tortured years when I found myself struggling to determine which was more beautiful, the zinnia or the peony... it is of course the peony. But coming out of that period, I recommenced as the kind of person who thought poorly of those who consider themselves either a dog or a cat person.
As you can imagine, I'm entering a new era, one in which I must once again decide what kind of person I am to be, and I'm still uncertain of its outcome. But I do have an inkling, for I recently began conversing with an ugly old mastiff bitch down the way, who has no other pleasure in life than to sing regional folk songs and ballads in a ululating half-pitched lilt. On my part, I am doing my best to learn them."