Ep. 6 Sermon on Strolling (part II)


Episode 6 presents us with a second clip from Joris Planck's early work, the "Sermon on Strolling."
In this passage, he recounts a story wherein he adopted a practice of walking in a group. 


Transcription of Joris:

"I have of late partaken in a procession of playfully costumed and coiffured paraders, who on occasion flood my street in a monsoon of pageantry and vociferations. Their language is incomprehensible, but that has not stopped me from joining their rank and file. Though to be sure, my reasons for joining are vague...
Despite having processed with them some 3 dozen times, their unwillingness to accept me has not waned. The children accost me with insult, and the elders appear annoyed. But not once have I been asked to leave, and so I remain glued to their number as it wends its way through lovely stands of animated aspen and beech.
When we reach a common area, some race to the rockier perches, while others the grassy sprawls, where their fill is eaten and their heads butted ceremoniously. When I attempt to lecture them on economical markets, they call me a traitor and blasphemer. When I read them poetry, I am lampooned.... This I cannot say for sure, as I understand not a word they speak, but I know they think it. Still, though my presence remains anathema, I continue to join them whene'er they pass, and it is always hours later that I discover myself in a town or region completely foreign to me, disappointed and delirious."