Ep. 7 Sermon on Aesthetics


Episode 7 showcases a passage from one of Joris Planck's many sermons on aesthetics.
Joris asks himself if his art is bettered or worsened by education.


Transcription of Joris:

"Sometimes I wish that I were a precocious practitioner of aesthetics able to justify having never enrolled in university or having ever proffered an art debased by learning. I would spit on education and all others instructing me to read this tome or to open my eyes to that masterpiece. My creations would be unsullied by the overbearing insufficiency accompanied by that confession that at one point my work was not as good as it is now. My confidence would soar, and my image would forever be etched in history as a monolithic know-it-all, perennially aged, never pink-skinned, and woefully unschooled. A decrepit and acerbic old monster to whom the world looks for unblemished sagacity and sublime, horrible foreshadowing.
But as it is, I must only dream of such accolades, the reason being that I never tire of taking notes on lectures given by the spring jay, nor of tracing the maple’s leaf. No, I am condemned to a life of learning, incorrigibly lustful for the next lesson to which I might be treated. It is a sad thing, indeed, that I must remain this quintessence of blushful spring and virility, never inspiring terror in even the most skittish of my fellow citizens."