Ep. 14 Sermon On Passion And Consequence (part I)


This week's episode will be the first of two excerpts taken from Joris Planck's "Sermon on Passion and Consequence."
Part I will address Passion. It should help us come to new knowledge about the human experience.

Transcription of Joris:

"I have no measurable love for man or woman. I've barely love for myself, save that particular sort of love that manifests in resentment and pity. The sort that we might feel for an old donkey that staves off predatory species but that brays terribly whenever he sees your face. And I have visited that variety of surgeon who specializes in madness and foul humors, and he instructed me that the pernicious sort of love I bear for myself only benefits those accretions of toxins in the blood and in the joints, and which eventually leads to the systematic degradation of digestive juices required to convert victuals into heat and kinetic bodily movements, and that for this reason I shiver and remain frozen in my wild catalepsies.
He was a surgeon who, to most, would be thanked, and he was to me as well, but not for his advice. That was utterly useless to me. But for the bright yellow tincture that was spilled upon my upholstered chaise, which instilled the room with a certain degree of joy that afternoon that I forgave him and his faulted wisdom. Forgave and even pitied him. Imagine, devoting your life to medicine, only to have your prescriptions wasted upon the stubborn ears of a donkey and his cushioned furnishings."