Ep. 13 Sermon on Summer's Extremes


The choice of clip for Episode 13 was inspired by the heat we're feeling at the moment. It certainly has made all us here feel a combined sensation of discomfort and irritation.
In the clip, Joris attempts to join in local festivities, only to be disillusioned by its philosophical shortcomings. 

Transcription of Joris:

"What a hateful object, the sun. It has become obvious to me in my old age that it delights in nothing other than to radiate all life with heat. Even the sea is galled into filing the air with noxious humidity. I am boiled into a torpor. I am rendered wide-eyed, perturbed and motionless, put in a veritable coma of hot ferocity and left wishing that I were some fish of preternatural sloth and contentedness. Must I go to the local themed park for spiritual rejuvenation? Must I partake in its controlled ecstasies and the selection of creamed ice it peddles? But they are uncivilized! There is always the conspicuous absence of gooseberry and bitter marigold amongst their choices of flavors.
As a philosopher, shall I subject myself to such biological abuse? That being to consume not what is compelling to the mind, but what is simply de rigeur? I will not, for I obey the mandates of my tongue, which demands it be lavished upon in order to issue from it ambrosial poetry? Clove, sour buttermilk, chanterelle. As a philosopher, I refuse to participate in arbitrary limitation, and thus I stew here... in the heat of this indiscreet sun and omnipresent humidity... away from society... and its parks... alone, save but with a revolting old heifer who dreamily licks the perspiration from my exposed knee."